Detailed Instructions for Disposing of Empty Pesticide Containers
Make sure to properly dispose of empty pesticide containers
- Use all the product in the container according to the instructions.
- Triple-rinse the container and use the solution like the full-strength pesticide.
- Punch multiple holes in the empty container so it won’t be used again.
- Recycle the container. Contact your local Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection facility for dates and locations.
Infographic provided courtesy of Penn State Extension Pesticide Education Program .
- Wearing gloves, empty contents of container into sprayer.
- Fill container 1/5 full of water.
- Replace cap and shake container for 30 seconds.
- Drain rinse water into sprayer.
- Repeat two more times, shaking container in different directions.
- Rinse the outside of the container.
- Remove foil seal and label booklet.
- Render the container unusable. Never reuse a pesticide container for any purpose.
- Recycle the container. Contact your local HHW collection facility for dates and locations.
- Diluted rinse material remaining in the sprayer should be sprayed according to the label where the pesticide was intended to be used.
Find a Hazardous Waste Facility
Hazardous Waste Disposal in Oregon, USA: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Services by County in Oregon
Contact your local household hazardous waste location. Call 1-800-CLEANUP (1-800-253-2687) to find out where to dispose of pesticides. Or talk to your state's environmental agency to learn about pesticide disposal requirements for your area.