What you SHOULD look for in a mold removal company
Consult with several firms before hiring a mold removal company. Even if your mold problem is urgent, take the time to identify a company that meets minimum standards.
If you determine you want to control a mold problem yourself, see How to Get Rid of Mold for detailed information, including safety precautions.
- Experience fixing water and mold damage
- Training for mold remediation
- Insurance that covers you, your property, and their employees
Look for Reputable Companies
- Ask people with experience hiring or working with mold removal companies.
- Consider contacting the Better Business Bureau to request information about a specific company.
- Ask the firm to provide references. Call the references they provide.
- Get estimates from more than one company. Compare their rates and services.
- Be wary of long-term contracts. Do you need ongoing help?
- Does the company provide a guarantee for their work? What are the terms?
- Ask how they minimize human and environmental risks.
- Do they wear protective equipment when needed?
- What measures will they take to prevent unnecessary exposures and accidents?
- Are there preparations you need to make before their treatment?
- Are there any precautions you need to take?
Keep Records about Mold Removal Services
- Contact information for the company
- Names of the employees who perform the work
- Time, date, and details of inspections and treatments
- The names and EPA registration numbers of the products used
FEATURES OF Successful Mold Removal Services
- Successful mold removal requires communication between you and the company.
- Ask questions: What is the treatment process? What are the expected results? Reduction or elimination? How long will it take?
- Know your responsibilities in making the treatment a success.